Hawks Nest Wines of NZ

Monday, February 20, 2006

Hawks Nest Wines of NZ

Hawks Nest Wines of NZ

Yes, I know there were lots of mispelled words in blog #2. Get used to it if you follow along with me as I am too impatient to use the spelling check sometimes.
Today is another sunny warm clear day here in the GodZone and the surf is up down on the beach below our home. We live about 700 feet above sea level on 55 acres overlooking the east coast of NZ about a hour north of Auckland. I can see the big downtown buildings from here on clear days.

Anyway, today I start my first marketing of our wine in our Matakana Valley and I will call on several local cafe's that serve wine as well as the three local bottle shops. YEs, we have three for only a town of 3000 people -Warkworth is the name of our local trade center and where we shop. Liquor stores are called bottle shops here in NZ and are open 7 days a week. You can walk in at 9 AM on a Sun morning here and buy booze. Even open houses are on Sun AM. in NZ. I thought we were moving to a conservative country but with legal brothels and Sun AM open booze sales it is pretty liberal. Spirits and smokes are highly taxed as is gas (about US$4/ gallon now) but wine and beer is cheap.
NZ has open trade with Australia and thus wine is cheap here since the excess wine in Au. is dumped here duty free. A good place for winos--good weather, cheap food, and easy access to booze.

More soon.

DR JIm

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home