Hawks Nest Wines of NZ

Sunday, January 07, 2007

Hawks Nest Wines of NZ

Hawks Nest Wines of NZ

Well, Sandra and I go off back to NZ tomorrow via Honolulu, and Sydney. I will be back on my tractor next week for sure. The grapes will in full summer mode--nice full green bunches growing in the long summer days of Matakana mid summer. It certainly will be nice to see the daylight early each AM and not have darkness fall until 9 PM. (think about the long days here in Nashville in July!!!) Even though it has been mild here in Tenn for the last few weeks I do now suffer from SAD ( known as seasonal affective disorder or in lay terms as the dark dreary days of mid winter!!!)

From talking to Jeremy at the vineyard all is well. The barrels of our aging 2006 wine are staying topped up and the sampling seems to suggest another wonderful vintage is in the works. Yes, I guess I will have to go back and sample some barrels soon just to confim the status of our new wines. We have a lot more wine aging this year--about 30 barrels. Depending on how we blend our wine later this year we will have up to maybe 500 cases to offer.

Regarding our 2005 release of Hawks Nest Orchard Block RED!!!!! Everyone who has tasted it has really liked it and are surprised that NZ can produce such a nice red blend with just Cab Franc and Malbec. Since Christmas we have hosted three tastings and all have been well attended. At least the word is now out in Nashville and the surrounding area that Hawks Nest Orchard Block Red is unusually good wine. (also in Chatt as well)

I bet the all of you on my email list about our wine are glad that Sandra and I are going back to NZ for 10 weeks as I am sure you are tired of my multiple email invites to events. Well, you now get time off until around Easter. We will be back mid March and are planning a BIG WINE DINNER at Watermark on April the 12th. That is the Thursday after Easter and should be super event. Waterermark is clearly THE PLACE for good food and wine in Nashville now so mark your calander now for that upcoming event. OH, do remember you can taste our wine there over winter as well as it is on Justin's wine menu there!!

My next post will be after I get back home to Matakana Valley and get my hands dirty at the vineyard and generally get in everyone's way as I usually do when there.

Sandra and I will see you in the US spring!!!

Dr Jim--heading off down under!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home